In the midst of a serious crisis in the agricultural sector and huge farmers’ movement across the country, the Modi government has announced an ‘increase’ in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for some crops. Immediately following this announcement (which, as a matter of fact, is a much delayed announcement for the Kharif cropping season), the BJP-RSS propaganda machinery has gone all out touting it as a ‘historic’ achievement. Yet, bare facts speak absolutely otherwise: the MSP ‘increase’ is nothing but yet another electoral jumla. None of the demands of the farmers’ movement has been addressed by the announcement. Major farmers’ organisations have also called the declaration a historic betrayal with the farmers. Continue reading
In a shocking and abrupt decision, the MHRD has proposed to dangerously dismantle the University Grants Commission (UGC) by repealing the UGC Act of 1956 and replace UGC with Higher Education Commission of India (HECI). The proposed HECI only have no power of disbursing the much needed grant for Universities and that power will henceforth be completely on the Government. This move is not simply one of restructuring, but a dangerous road map to to kill the inclusive character of higher education in India.
The draft Act is available at https://t.co/mWtT2IORIk
To know what AISA thinks about this dangerous draft proposal of MHRD , click here.
A very short window to respond on the proposed draft has been given to the public. The public response to the proposed draft act will have to be given within 20th of July, 5 pm. Professor Ayesha Kidwai and Debaditya Bhattacharya have drafted a clause by clause elaborate response to the proposed act. This can be used as a united response of stake holders on the proposed act.
We appeal to all educationists, stakeholders & others to furnish their comments & suggestions by 20th july 2018 till 5 p.m & mail at email@example.com.
THIS CAN BE DONE IN FIVE EASY STEPS, taking 2-3 mins of your time!
- Open your email, and COMPOSE a new email. In the subject field, paste: FEEDBACK FOR DRAFT HECI ACT 2018.
- In the to field, paste: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here. Press the copy button on top right, or simply copy (CTRL + C on Windows; COMMAND + C on MAC).
- PASTE the copied text in the body of your email (CTRL + V on Windows; COMMAND + V on MAC).
- Hit send, and you’re done!
AISA requests all students and teachers of this country to send this feedback to the MHRD and resist the conspiracy to end autonomous and affordable higher education in India.
In a shocking and abrupt decision, the MHRD has proposed to dangerously dismantle the University Grants Commission (UGC) by repealing the UGC Act of 1956 and replace it with Higher Education Commission of India (HECI). The proposed HECI will only focus on the questions of academic standards of the university, while the Government will take charge of the grant giving function.
देश के 10 महत्त्वपूर्ण मंत्रालयों के संयुक्त सचिव के पद पर नियुक्ति के लिए आज भाजपा सरकार ने विज्ञप्ति जारी की है। ये अफसर श्रेणी के वो पद हैं जो देश के लिए नीतियाँ बनायेंगे।
- विज्ञापन में कहा जा रहा है कि ये नियुक्तियाँ बगैर किसी परीक्षा की होंगी!
- इन नियुक्तियों में SC, ST, OBC और PH आरक्षण लागू नही होगा!
- आवेदक किसी प्राइवेट या विदेशी कंपनियों से जुड़े अधिकारी भी हो सकते हैं!
The recent Cobrapost Sting operation codenamed 136 (this was India’s global rank in terms of press freedom index when perhaps the sting was shot, by the time the sting was made public India’s rank had however slipped to 138 according to the 2018 list) gives us a very clear insight into the functioning of the dominant Indian media under the Modi dispensation. Continue reading
The people of Thoothukudi (Tuticorin) in Tamil Nadu have, for two decades, been protesting the transnational corporation Vedanta’s Sterlite copper smelter which has been poisoning the air and ground water, with devastating impact on agriculture and people’s health. Continue reading
In April this year three universities advertised for faculty positions. The Central University of Tamil Nadu offered 2 posts for OBC category out of 65 total faculty positions advertised. The Indira Gandhi National Tribal University offered 1 post under OBC category out of total 52 posts advertised. In both the cases no SC/ST reservation has been offered. And in Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya no reservation has been provided for SC/ST or OBC out of 18 posts advertised. Continue reading
AMU में 1938 से लगी हुई मोहम्मद अली जिन्ना की एक तस्वीर को एकाएक हटाने की मांग करते हुए ‘हिंदू युवा वाहिनी’ नाम के एक गिरोह ने वहां के छात्रों पर हमला कर दिया। देखते-देखते भाजपा और हिन्दुत्ववादी ताकतों ने उस संस्थान पर हमला साध दिया और अकारण ही जिन्ना को विवाद का विषय बना दिया गया। Continue reading
In a shockingly abrupt and arbitrary move, the UGC has very recently removed 4305 Journals from the current UGC Approved List of Journals. Articles published in UGC-approved List of Journals are considered for the purpose of Career Advancement Scheme (CAS) and Direct Recruitment of Teachers and other academic staff as required under the UGC (Minimum Qualifications for Appointment of Teachers and other Academic Staff in Universities and Colleges) Regulation, 2016.
• The UGC website claims that it follows detailed checklist criteria to prepare the UGC – approved list of Journals. On the other hand, while withdrawing more than 4000 journals the UGC asserted that the deletion is on the basis of “poor quality”, “false claims” by journals etc. So if the “checklist” is followed, what are these so-called thousands of substandard quality journals or journals with fake claims were doing in the list to begin with?
• Secondly, the most important criterion for rejection is whether the journal has a website which provides full postal or email addresses of Chief Editor and Editors. Several journals were rejected on this flimsy ground. Why is the UGC more interested in the technicality of journal website than the journal’s academic rigour?
• Most importantly, several scholars have already published in these journals as this list was there on the UGC website for more than one year. Because now the journals were removed, these publications will carry no value. Why would the research scholars and faculty members pay the price for UGC’s whims and fancies?
Imposition of arbitrary moves in the sphere of higher education has become a hallmark of the current BJP Government. The Government has time and again used the UGC as a tool to destroy research and serious academic environment of the country – through blatant attempts to discontinue Non NET fellowship and scuttle biannual NET examination, imposition of 5th May 2016 UGC Notification resulting into massive M.Phil/ PhD seat cuts and decimation of policies of social justice, department wise vacancy roaster to demolish reservations in faculty positions etc. The recent step of abrupt removal of journals came in the long spate of sudden irresponsible moves by the Modi Government that threatens the future of thousands of us. AISA appeals the student community to thoroughly reject the dictatorial anti-academic farmaans of the present govt one after another.
Shri Prakash Javdekar,
Minister of Human Resource Development,
Government of India
Sub: Demanding Withdrawal of Notifications for Granting Autonomy and 70-30 % Funding to Colleges, Universities and Other Higher Education Institutions
We are writing to you to demand roll back of recent policies and notifications that are designed to finish off all opportunities of higher education for the vast majority of students of the country. Continue reading